I am a dichotomy. I should have been a Gemini. There are always two sides of my personality. One, I love a bargain. LOOOOOVE a bargain. And I can be cheap. Two, there are certain things you should NEVER go cheap on....trousers, couches, and childcare. So I usually bargain with myself and buy expensive things on sale (except for the childcare). That was a long-winded introduction just to say that I am cheap and will re-use tin cans.
In comes the luminaria. Could I have purchased the paper bag version at Target? Yup. Could I have made these out of milk jugs? Well, yes...but that certainly isn't as Martha as a tin can. So, I ask the childcare facility to "donate" 8 of their largest tin cans have and...voila, I am on my way to a handcrafted luminaria.
- Get large tin cans
- Clean them out & rip off labels
- Fill them 2/3 of the way with water and freeze (helps maintain the shape)
- Search for whatever image you want on Google (I used Stars and Snowflakes) and print said images out on paper
- Ask a professional or qualified individual to punch out or drill the shape (i.e. The Husband.)
- Ask your child to find heavy rocks to place inside
- Put a candle in.
- Light the candle and hope to hell the wind doesn't blow it out.